Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother’s Mission


“I didn’t say that to hear my head rattle.”
Ephesians 4:25-31
In Paul's letter to the Ephesians he addresses what the Christian has become in a new relationship with Christ.  His listing gives us the very things that every mother desires in the life of her children.  These attributes and attitudes are the basics of maturity.  The purpose of a mother is not to make happy children but successful adults.  What is that mom is trying to accomplish?

I. If You Are Lying To Me You Will Regret The Day You Were Born.”  v.25a

Children who lie slip into lives of manipulation and deceit.

II. Who Made You the Queen of Sheba?  v.25b, v31

Life is relationships.
Consideration regards other’s needs, desires and rights as equal to my own.

III. Stop Crying or I will Give You Something to Cry About.”
v.26-27, v31

Depression = Anger turned inward
Anxiety = The repression of a truth about life
Emotions are barometers of our inner feelings.

IV. Don’t Make Me Ask You Again.”  v28a

Responsibilities = identity = self-esteem

V. Do You Know How Many Children in China Are Starving to Death?  v.28b

VI. If You Can’t Say Anything Nice, Don’t Say Anything at All! v.29

When it comes to your self-worth, listen to those who listen to you.

VII. You Better Hope God Gets to You Before I Do.”  v.30

Even more than I want my children to learn to listen to me and obey, I want them to listen to God.

Devotional Archive