Thursday, October 30, 2014

God-Loose!

(Submitted by Kerry Patton)
“Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.” Psalm 1:1-6

 Studying Side by Side
One of my favorite Bibles to read is a parallel Bible which features Luther’s 1912 German translation on the left column and an English translation on the right of each page.  This arrangement is very helpful for me as I wrestle my way through reading a passage in German, and can easily find help in the right column from the English for words I am not familiar with. 

Why do this? Historically, much of classic Christian theological literature is written in the German language.  For this reason, German, as well as Hebrew and Greek are often referenced and studied by ministers and Christian teachers.

I also find that the German language sometimes paints with ‘brighter colors’ so to speak.  For instance, in Matthew chapter 2, verse 1 we find the account of the birth of Jesus, and the detail of the Wise Men coming from the east. 

We know the word “east.” We know where east is.  East is where the sun comes up.  The sun rises in the east.  In Luther’s translation of the New Testament, he translates the story as follows (in an English transliteration): “Some Wise Men came from Morning-land...”  Morning-land!  I love that!  It’s the same thing as saying “from the east…” but the colors of the words are just a little more descriptive.

So, last night, I’m studying in Psalm chapter one…Here the writer is comparing the living of both the wicked, and the righteous.  Reading the German text, I find a word that I wasn’t familiar with: Gottlosen. Looking at the English translation, it doesn’t take long to correlate that Gottlosen means ‘wicked.’

Gottlosen. Wicked.  Huh.  So, then I began to consider the German word further.  Gottlosen is a two-part word.  The first part is: “Gott”, meaning “God” and the second part is “losen”, meaning “Loose.”  These together render: Gottlosen…God-loose.  The wicked are those who are “God-loose.”
I found this information to be very enlightening.  Think: loose…as in – unattached, unbound by, unsecured, detached… We could even go so far as to suggest that those who are God-loose are unguided by God can’t we?  We can, because those out of touch…unconnected to God are not connected to his guidance, unaided by his Holy Word, nor his Holy Spirit.  No wonder the wicked are wicked… They aren’t connected to God!!  They are God-loose.

More than anything I want to be connected to…bound to…attached to our Heavenly Father!  I want to be found to be RIGHTEOUS!! I want to be PLUGGED-IN to God!! I do NOT want to be Gottlosen… God-loose.

Psalm 63:1-8 paints a portrait of King David’s passion to stay connected to his Heavenly Father.  As you read these words, pray their meaning from your own desire to be in fellowship with God:

“A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your loving-kindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You.
So I will bless You as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;
Your right hand upholds me.”

Prayer:

Almighty God, How easy it is to be unplugged!  No wonder the wicked are so lost!  I’m so very thankful that by your love and mercy I have come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior.  Help me Lord to always be plugged into you…connected to you…even bound to you.  Keep me in close fellowship.  You know how easily I am distracted.  But I want our connection to be strong!  Keep me in your Word. Keep me in communication with you.  Let our fellowship be strong, and constant.  In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Devotional Archive