Wednesday, January 13, 2016

“STAND BACK BO”

By Sam Nobles
“Make it as tight as you can get it.” This is what I told my best friend Bo when we were finishing up the handlebars on a homemade bicycle. It was the custom of the kids in my neighborhood to make a bicycle from the parts of other junk bicycles. Bragging rights went to, not only the best looking bike, but also the bike that would actually stay together. I remember telling Bo to stand back as I straddled the Frankenstein bike of our creation. It had a ten-speed wheel on front and on the back we were equipped with the tire from a dirt bike and training wheels (for support). To top it off we added a banana seat from Bo’s cousin, Ricky Wayne’s toddler bicycle. As I began to peddle down the giant hill on Arthur Street I was amazed that the bicycle actually worked. I kept my eyes fastened on the chain to make sure everything was moving the way it was supposed to be moving. I became so proud of my accomplishment that I put both hands in the air, Lance Armstrong style, and began to shout my accolades to every kid and grown-up that happened to be outside as I cruised down this giant hill. But to my surprise, as I went to re-grab the handle bars they were gone. They had fallen off somewhere along the way and the only course of action I had was to take a bad spill at the bottom of Arthur Street.


The Bible says, “When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom” (PROVERBS 11:2 NKJV). My friend Bo swore he tightened the handle bars, but maybe I wouldn’t have wrecked that day had I been wise and kept both hands on the handlebars.

Devotional Archive