Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mirror – Remember Who You Are

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!... Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. – 1 John 3:1-3
Who or what do you see when you look into the mirror? Chances are that what you see is distorted… Chances are that the reflections you see of yourself are not the real you.
One of my favorite movies is the movie Lion King. The star of this story is a lion named Simba.
Simba did not see the real Simba when he looked in the mirror because of various things:
                Mistakes in his past
                What His uncle Scar said about Him
                Bad choices he had made
                And a new philosophy of life he had adopted (a kuna ma tata…)
The reflections he saw were distorted this distortion caused him to forget who he was. He winds up living with a wart hog and a meerkat whose highest ambitions in life are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then, one night Simba’s father appears to him in a vision:
Mufasa: Simba
Simba: Father?
Mufasa: Simba, you have forgotten me
Simba: No! How could I?
Mufasa: You have forgotten who you are, and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself Simba you are more than what you have become.
Simba: How can I go back? I’m not who I used to be.
Mufasa: remember who you are. You are my son, and the one true king. Remember who you are.
Question – like Simba have you forgotten who you are? Have you – allowed: your past, your failures, your sin, your bad choices and the uncle scars, meerkats and wart hogs in your life to keep you from seeing the real you. I think it’s time to look in the mirror.
Who are you? At this very moment God is looking at you and saying… You Are:
                My child (a son, a daughter of the K of k and L of l…
                The One I love
                The One I adopted into my family
                The one I chose before the foundations of the earth were even laid
                The one who though you have flaws and failures are still is worthy of my grace.
                My workmanship, my masterpiece
                The one created a new in Christ Jesus, to do awesome things that will display my glory to the world.
                You are more
Remember who you are, look closer in the mirror of God’s love and radical acceptance. You’ll have to slow down to see your true reflection clearly.
Scripture to Claim:

To all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.  John 1:12-13

Devotional Archive