Monday, June 17, 2013

Pops


With Father’s Day coming up, devotionals this week will be all about dads.  Included are some personal accounts from some of our staff.  Their thoughts are honest reflections on fatherhood with the struggles, strengths and weaknesses of real-life dads.  Enjoy. 

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9


Dad died in May of 2007. He had been struggling with dementia for about a year. Mom could not take care of him anymore. He died six weeks after he went in the nursing home. My mom said he didn't want to pay the money to stay in there and decided enough was enough. He grew up in Thackerville Oklahoma as the son of a rural mail carrier. He helped out his family working the farm and they would grow everything you could think of. He also loved playing basketball and going to church. He went and tried out for Hank Iba, the basketball coach at Oklahoma A&M (Oklahoma State) and was told he was not quite tall enough. “I was thankful for the tryout” he told me. After high school Dad went to business college in Fort Worth and became a salesman working all types of jobs until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. “Men filled the streets to join”, he told me on many occasions. Dad joined up making the rank of Staff Sargent in the Army Air Corp. I asked him one time if he was scared to go to war and he replied “When evil rises up someone has to beat it back down Eric”. Dad served mostly in the American theatre in Alaska helping train Russian pilots to fly bombers and was close to being sent to the pacific before the war ended. He joined up with 4 other friends and only 2 of them returned home. “The real heroes never came back Eric”, he said. Dad rode the train home from the service to Oklahoma City and hitchhiked back home calling it one of the best days of his life. He met my Mom 3 years later on a blind date. She was set to go to work for the U.S. Consulate office in Egypt but after meeting Dad she told me “I forgot about all that”. My grandfather did not want any one courting his daughters. After 4 months he decided he would take care of things concerning their relationship. My grandmother told my mom if she “was going to marry that man you better do it soon cause I can’t control your Daddy”. They went across the state line to Ardmore, Oklahoma and were married. ‘“Sam was not scared” Mom told me. After a couple of weeks (and my Grandfathers pleading) they went back for a Sunday lunch and my Grandfather embraced my Dad. After that he became my Grandfathers favorite, telling Mom he “was a good catch”.

Dad went to work for the city of Forth Worth first as the secretary to the mayor and then as a sanitation supervisor checking that the trucks made their pickups on the west side, north side and other territories he was assigned to cover. He retired as a 25 year man. He was known as “Mr Sam” in the neighborhoods and didn’t see color. “Everyone should be treated the same Eric”.

Dad raised two sons. He was especially proud of John Mark Adcock the eldest son. He overcame terrible obstacles in life from an auto accident and had Dad’s respect for it. He helped with his recovery and was beaming when he finished college. Dad was proud of me too. One of the best memories I have of him is when he came to see me lead music at a camp in Abilene in 1995. A group of about 500 students were doing the motions of a song we were leading and as I looked out on them there was Dad in the middle of some kids playing along.

Steady is the word I always use when I am talking about my Father. He was a man of principle and integrity. He was out of church for the first ten years of my life but returned to it, becoming very involved at FBC Weatherford. He helped usher and take up the offering. He had me in to lead music and speak about student ministry to his Sunday school class. When the controversy about the “new” worship music was brought up Dad said “The younger generation needs to learn the old songs and us older folk need to embrace the new ways”. He was always willing to listen to me and discuss things. He bought me the guitar I play, telling me “If you are going to do music for the Lord I want to help you Eric”. It is my most prized possession. 

Dad was always at work doing something and used it to teach me this word.....”With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.”  -1st Corinthians 15:58. What are we working for, working on, and working towards? Is it a lasting thing or is it temporary? The work of our Master Jesus Christ is ongoing and evolving and living. It is not something that starts and stops. It’s a lifelong process. Where are you in this process? Are you in the work of our Master or are you stuck in the religious activities? Let’s live steady and consistent today in all we do at home, work, the store and our church. Let go, fight, win!

Submitted by Eric Adcock

Devotional Archive