Thursday, July 12, 2018

The Importance of Good Communication


For I am full of words, and my spirit compels me to speak. My heart is like unvented wine; it is about to burst like new wineskins. I must speak so that I can find relief; I must open my lips and respond. Job 32:18-20
“I know that you think you heard what you thought I said, but what you understood was not what I meant.” Possibly you have concluded a conversation feeling a bit like this.  If so, you know the frustration of trying to communicate the message inside you.  It is certainly not as easy as it seems it should be.  
Life is relationships and the lifeblood of healthy relationships is communication.  The quality of a relationship is largely dependent on the quality of the communication in the relationship.  Therefore, those who cannot effectively share their personal feelings, desires or love have difficulty in relationships.  
The best example of this is the relationship of man and his God.  Many a man has a relationship to God in name only. His failure to communicate with God causes his relationship to be lessened in quality. He still hungers to know God's acceptance and love in a personal way.
In like manner, a family may have a relationship by name only. Where there is poor or blocked communication there is the absence of vital and desired relationship.  The difference in the levels of relationships to God, others, and family is singularly based in communication.
For many, the problem seems to be they are more interested in being heard than hearing.  While we often feel that we have communicated when we have spoken, the truth is that communication requires both speaking and hearing.
We all have a deep desire to be heard. So, someone needs to listen.  Stephen Covey states, “Seek first to understand and then to be understood.”  Many have discovered that this an effective way to be certain we are heard and understood as well.  Simply put, being heard gives us the feeling that we have been understood which also gives a feeling of acceptance and even love. The greatest example of this is God and prayer.  In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch.  Psalms 5:3
Dialogue is defined as a meaningful exchange of ideas in a climate of support or interest. While speaking and listening go on all about us, healthy dialogue is not always the result.  An age-old adage reminds us that God gave us two ears and only one mouth and they should be used in that proportion.  
Communication requires commitment and energy.  It will not happen without interest and desire.  Today, recognize the importance of effective and supportive communication to you and others.  Recognize the effect of attitude and actions to all around you who hear what you "express", not just say.  Recognize the importance of your personal communication with God and yourself (through your feelings).
It feels good to be understood.  Be ready to listen to understand.

Scripture to Claim:
The LORD heard the voice of your words when you spoke to me, and the LORD said to me, “I have heard the voice of the words of this people which they have spoken to you. They have done well in all that they have spoken.”  Deuteronomy 5:28

Devotional Archive