Thursday, August 23, 2012

They’re Out To Get Me!!



"Save me, O God, by Thy name, and vindicate me by Thy power. Hear my prayer, O God; Give ear to the words of my mouth.  For strangers have risen against me, and violent men have sought my life; they have not set God before them.” Psalm 54
 
I was driving to Fort Worth several weeks ago and experienced a very close call when a semi-truck merged into me from the passing lane.  I braked quickly and allowed the driver to pass in front of me.  I was stunned!  That was so close…I voice-dialed my wife on the phone to tell her what had just happened.  During our conversation, ANOTHER vehicle carelessly merged into my lane.  “There goes another one!!” I complained. “This is insane!”  Only a few minutes later, I’m almost at my destination to make a hospital call when a driver gets right up on my bumper before making a quick lane change and speeding around me.  By this time, I am very frustrated and said out loud to no one else in the car: “So where are the Police?  Where is the Highway Patrol?  What is this, try to kill Kerry day???”  Where was my protection?  Why was no one keeping these nutty drivers off the road?  Where were my defenders?

God, are you even seeing this??
“DO SOMETHING!!”  Have you ever prayed a prayer that sounded like that?  Recently, a family you might know was very frustrated.  Their air conditioner had gone out and they had paid a sizable repair bill.  Then the car broke down.  The family had just about exhausted their financial reserves to get it running again, when all three of the kids came down with strep and had to each undergo the care of a doctor, complete with multiple rounds of medication.  The father shook his head, lamenting: “I’m just so very tired of the devil messing with our family.  We’ve had enough!”

Likewise, I’ve known friends who worked daily in very hostile environments.  Every day was an emotional beating.  They really wanted to quit, but family and financial obligations kept them pinned to their job.  Dread and fatigue plagued them.  One said: “I don’t know how long I can keep doing this.  I don’t know what to do!”  Where do we turn when it’s like the world is out to get us?

Cry Out To God
As we read in Psalm 54, we find David…not yet King, but assailed by his enemies.  They are looking for him, and he is frightened for his life.  His words are very simple: “Save me, O God, by Thy name.  And vindicate me by Thy power.”  In verses 4-7, David envisions God not only delivering him, but paying back his enemies with swift justice: “Behold, God is my helper; The Lord is the sustainer of my soul. He will recompense the evil to my foes; Destroy them in Your faithfulness. Willingly I will sacrifice to You; I will give thanks to Your name, O LORD, for it is good. For He has delivered me from all trouble, And my eye has looked with satisfaction upon my enemies.”

In those times when danger seems to seek us out…In those seasons when it really does seem that our enemies are out to get us…Cry out to the Lord our God.  He will deliver and sustain us.  And we can rest assured that in his time, justice will reign.  Vengeance is his.  He says so.

Prayer
Almighty God, do not let your people be overtaken by hardship, nor the evil of men!  But deliver us from our enemies, O Lord.  You are our defender.  Amen.

Devotional Archive